Here are some outdoor garden pics taken last week before the sun decided to go on holiday. We built a tee pee using recycled tires as planters because there’s only a few inches of soil there atop a large slab of stone. And because it looks kinda cool.
Tadhg and I planted two yardlong beans in each and added the plastic as a temporary measure with the intention to add a bit of extra warmth once we closed the front opening. Fortunately, we sowed many more than we needed and have spares, as the wind and wintry showers which arrived the next day severely battered the tender seedlings.
I said in a previous post that we wait until late May/June to plant out. But it’s so easy to be fooled into packing winter coats and hats away in April. I blame the sun and the hypnotic trance it puts on us islanders.
More tires and the boy’s handy work…these pics taken weeks apart. Soil lifted, stones added. The boys cracked and leveled the stones as well as sanded and painted the bench, all with Johnny’s light supervision and finishing touches. I’m going to make a bright colored cushion for the bench and the flowers will grow to spill over the outside of the planters. The seat overlooks the L O V E beds. Thanks B.P. for the tires and M.P. for the bench, paint, and also the yardlong bean seeds. Great reminders of two wonderful friends.
Back in mid March I mentioned pruning the raspberry bushes. Shortly thereafter I became aware that I hadn’t done it completely right and after researching went back to cut them down properly. Rather than discard the canes that needed removing I decided to stick them back into the ground into two groupings of nearly a dozen canes in each. It kind of looked like how they arrived when we first purchased them years ago, a bucket of soil with sticks poking out of it. Three weeks later, with the help of a warm spell and plenty of sunshine, they began to sprout new growth. And they remain unaffected by the current foul weather. We’re not expecting fruit from them this year, but it would sure be great. I do feel confidant they will eventually bear fruit though (fingers crossed). In my garden books there is no mention of this method…I wonder does anyone else propagate their raspberries this way?
A couple bits of exciting news…today we ordered new plastic for the polytunnel as the existing one is being held together for the last couple years with love and plywood. Many a winter’s morning I awoke to peer out the window with great hope that our tunnel had not been lifted into orbit by the previous evening’s winds. It’s a miracle that it’s still standing after the past couple winters here on the island–add to that our initial inadequate erecting of it, live and learn we have. We also ordered two additional hoops, extending the tunnel on each end by six feet, Yep, that’s twelve by eighteen feet of added tropical nirvana. I will definitely keep you posted on how that progresses over the next month.
We had a garden visit this week from another school, this one not from the island. The students are about to start growing in their own polytunnel and were curious to see what we’re doing in ours. A bit of a whirlwind it was as they had more plans for their island visit then their time allowed, but they were lovely and plan to revisit in the autumn. It was a great buzz for us and, though we have already expressed appreciation to who arranged their visit, in case he’s reading this, a great big thanks again.
I posted this in the wee hours of the morning and am now awakening to the thoughts of potatoes, new potatoes that is. We ate our first pot of them steamed and slathered in butter with last nights dinner. One of the many moments that make it all worth the effort we put in 🙂
Whatever the weather, I hope each and every one of you is enjoying your weekend. Melissa Xx