Unclouded Thinking– Passionate Belief & Marriage Equality Vote

By believing passionately in that which does not exist, we create it.  That which is non-existent has not been sufficiently desired.” — Nikos Kazantzakis

20150506_154834 (2)

belief is thoughts fuel

the source of all yet to be,

clouded by doubters

It’s true.  Everything in existence was first a thought, someone’s idea.  A person first feels a spark.  They begin to think about it as they travel through their day and then it enters their dreams.  The dream is shared with others.  Those others may or may not have their own spark ignited, for it must come from within each person’s own heart and mind– passionate belief cannot be preached or legislated into a person.  One must be intrinsically motivated to such fascination, commitment, and innovation.  Interest is one thing.  Joining a movement is another entirely.  It comes from the inside out, referred to often as ‘putting your money where your mouth is’, likely costing you time, money, or both, and risking judgement by others.

He who believes is strong; he who doubts is weak. Strong convictions precede great actions.” — Louisa May Alcott

Of course strong beliefs and passionate thinking cannot change people towards your will.  You can have the relationship you seek, it just mightn’t be with the specific person you had in mind.  You can have the work environment you want, but it might be at a different place, working with different people. A recent experience reminded me of this fact.  There was a relationship I desired for years, but, despite several successful starts, this friendship always had a bitter ending due to lack of honesty and trust.

Being familiar with the stages of grief, when I felt myself transitioning from angry to sad, I intuitively knew my dream for this friendship was dead.  Previously, the anger wasn’t followed by sadness and a feeling of loss, but rather by frustrated detachment, then a passage of time, and eventually beginning the same cycle over. Unfortunately, compulsive lying is hard for the person involved to see, but it hurts those who are in its radar, easily ruining relationships.  It hurts, yes, but never has it threatened my passionate beliefs and goals.

One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals. And so when I hear about negative and false attacks, I really don’t invest any energy in them, because I know who I am.” — Michelle Obama

Trail blazers and ground breakers are not afraid of failing and trying again, knowing their sustained efforts are what it takes to reach a goal.  They face opposition but drive on, admit weaknesses and flaws in themselves and their plan, but keep attention on their strengths and abilities. They surround themselves with supporters of their dream, particularly those whose strengths balance out their own weaknesses.  If there aren’t enough supporters, the dream may be abandoned.  If there are, momentum builds.  Often timing is everything.

A campaign whose time has come here in Ireland is the Civil Marriage Equality Referendum.  On May 22nd Irish voters have an opportunity to vote Yes in support of marriage equality, same rules and laws for one and all.  Or they may choose to vote No and keep the unfair situation that now exists in which some people have more rights or better opportunities than other people– civil partnership does not offer full constitutional equality.

Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never — in nothing, great or small, large or petty — never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense.” — Winston Churchill

My hope is that Ireland will vote to join the other sixteen countries who thus far have approved same-sex marriage.  The argument against a Yes vote that Bishop of Raphoe Philip Boyce presents: “Equality and human rights should be given to everyone, but it should be done without sacrificing the institution of marriage and the family.”  My dad always said he could power his motor boat with all the but, but, but, but, buts used to make justifications and excuses for bad choices.  I haven’t thought about that in some time and it always made me smile, even if I was being scolded– he just sounded fun saying it. Now, of course, I see the truth behind his humour.

As much support as it appears the Yes vote has, it will only happen if we all get out and vote.  It’s everyone’s responsibility to see this through to the end–afterall, that is where equality begins.  PLEASE REGISTER AND VOTE MAY 22.

When I saw Ronovan’s Haiku words for this week,’ source & thought’, my mind instantly jumped to the opening quote by Nikos Kazantzakis.  Add to that Jamie’s photo word of the week, ‘sky’ and, well, it wasn’t meant to be a post of philosophical espousing.  That’s just how these things roll sometimes.

Our middle child, Séan Proinsias, is turning eight tomorrow and his first communion is on Sunday. Needless to say, we are heading into a busy weekend.  I will catch up with everyone early in the week.   Until then, take care.  Melissa Xx

1. Fantastic article Melissa , you have made art with your words blessings.I so hope we get a yes vote , we owe this to our children and also the generations yet to be born in order for them to grow in an equal and caring society , I cannot ever understand how anyone would find difficulty with a yes vote in fact some of the arguments I have heard are totally without a trace of respect for fellow man and woman and make me annoyed to the point of disillusion with many things these same people seem to hold as grounds for their argument. Your quotes are wonderful; hopefully there is enough passionate desire for change , my worry is that people may not realise that in order for that desire to be met one must go and vote , I really feel there is the desire for a yes vote , I will be sad if this is not realised as it will hurt so many lovely people.

• Hi Kathy, It would be a huge setback and disappointment if the yes vote fails to pass. I read your reply just after posting and immediately went back and added the four sentences urging people to vote, with a voter registration link. Thank you for your passionate response and for giving me the idea to do that. I guess we’ll all know soon enough. Sleep well and goodnight, Melissa Xx

2. Eddy Winko says:

Not something I follow, but a worthy cause and if my vote counted I would vote. Still it strikes me that it is the church who should be changing their mind on this one, especially in a country like Ireland or indeed Poland were religion still has such a strong influence. Of course I make this statement knowing little of the subject at hand. Have a great weekend.

• Hello Eddy, The church still has it’s power here, but I think not as much influence. I am neither religious or political, but I do support equality and freedom for everyone. Thanks for the weekend well wishes and same to you. 🙂 Melissa

3. Your passion for equality sings out and I wholeheartedly agree with you. So often people find ‘good reasons to do bad things’, mainly out of ignorance or fear. I do hope the ‘Yes’ vote wins through to welcome more tolerant times. We humans seem to take so long to evolve. Happy birthday to Sean (how do you pronounce his second name?). Amazing haiku and atmospheric photo – another triumph!

• You totally get my point here about equality Sandra. Séan Proinsias, which is Irish for John Francis, his dad’s name, pronounced ‘pruhnchees’. Eight years old today, born two days early. I enjoyed reminiscing about his birth today with three of my sisters-in-law, two of whom are pregnant. It was a lovely day and now he’s tucked in bed, dreaming about his next party tomorrow 🙂 Thanks for the kind words on my Haiku. Hope you are having a lovely and relaxing Saturday evening my friend. Xx

• How lovely to share birth stories with family. Each year on their birthdays I remember all the details of my children’s births and share it again with them sometimes. Now they have all had children of their own we swop stories too which is such a bonding experience. Each birth with its own unique tale.
        I did have a wonderfully relaxed evening, thank you, with my crochet! What better! I had spent the afternoon with my son, Big Bro and Little Bro, whipping up a couple of specially requested black robbers masks in crochet for them. Those two just LOVE dressing up! Off with a friend to one of my favourite bluebell woods today, hope the weather lets me take some decent photos. Sounds like you will be having a lovely day of celebration. Hugs to all! ❤

4. Pingback: Sky | Wild Daffodil

5. mihrank says:

However, they are nowhere as passionate and committed as me in seeing this … and the importance of family values for the future of our humanity, beliefs that have … Marriage equality will not fix all the problems surrounding marriage.

This is a powerful presentation, my mother is a doctor she enjoyed your story here…

The haiku was lovely! And I’m glad for you that you recognize and are dealing with – in a positive way it sounds – the friend that just doesn’t seem worthy of your energy; I hope that translates well and not too harshly.

I admire your passion on the issue of equality; I don’t know enough about the social climate, legislation, etcetera in Ireland to have a real comment on it. But your deep empathy shows in your words and I do have much respect for that. One observation I will – maybe shouldn’t – make is that in all kinds of situations attitudes held aren’t expressed well, are influenced by popular opinion, and “just are” because it’s “how it always has been”, at least in my neck of the woods. None of those things come through in your writing though. There are many ignorant, unlearned, hard headed and hearted, close minded people here in my local area, state and country; I’m sure that holds true worldwide.

Okay, enough; I’m hijacking your eloquent post: Sorry! LOL

Have a blessed weekend with your wonderful, special Sunday event! Greg

• Greg, I am very unpolitical. I do like to vote though, so I read a bit from both the No and Yes camps in case there was something I might be missing that would change my mind. It just wasn’t there for me. I don’t believe it’s right to treat people as second-class citizens because of who they love.

Nothing you said came across harsh and I don’t feel hijacked at all. Once I wrote a response in the notification side bar and didn’t realize how long it was until I sent it. It happens! 🙂

• Greg says:

I’m glad to know it wasn’t too long winded nor harsh, one of the things I fear in written responses at times.

I honestly respect your opinion much more knowing that you looked at it unbiased (and I respected it quite a lot beforehand). I’m not political either; I try to follow what Scripture teaches in my life, voting or whatever else. Regardless of my beliefs, I don’t agree with hate, discrimination, etcetera, especially under the “ruse” of religion. And I probably need to stop there LOL

• You are very considerate. Never worry about being long winded here Greg. Sometimes it’s just not possible to be succinct. 🙂

On a lighter note, I must start writing out the word ‘etcetera’ from now on. Why is it always abbreviated when it looks so nice written out?! 😀

• Greg says:

The more you get to know me, Melissa, the more you’ll know being succinct isn’t my strong point 😉

I learned from my 10th grade English teacher a few things that have always stick with me: “etcetera” and “a lot” are TWO WORDS are a couple of them. LOL

• My English teacher discouraged us using the words ‘a lot’, saying that it was “a plot of land”, but if we were to use it then, the same, she made sure we knew it was two words. She never mentioned how lovely etcetera was when not abbreviated though 🙂

You have a great way with words Melissa, and I agree with you. Ireland is moving forward slowly – I sometimes feel we are one of those huge big oil tankers that take many miles to turn! And Happy Birthday Séan Proinsias and have a great day on Sunday. Our parish’s First Communion was today and I helped out in the community centre afterwards where everyone comes to share tea and cakes – it’s a lovely idea and good to be able to help out.

• Superb analogy. And with so many intelligent people offering reasonable suggestions for solutions to issues of the past few years, it’s frustrating to watch the lack of progress.

So nice for the community to gather over such events. There are six children in all this year and the families will meet up at the local hotel, some after a home meal, some eating there, all to enjoy a ‘disco’ afterwards. Great to relax and celebrate together. Off to bed for me then. Enjoy your Sunday and talk soon.

8. Wonderful article, Melissa. I had no idea this vote was taking place, so this is the first I have heard about it. I don’t think it has even been mentioned on the news here in the UK, but then I don’t always watch the news.

Of course I believe in freedom of speech and will listen to any argument, but when it comes to two people simply wanting to love each other then I have no hesitation in saying that they should be allowed to do so and should be left alone to get on with their lives. Spreading love is what it is all about and anybody that wants to deny two people wanting to love each other should be reminded of all the hate and unrest it causes that goes on in our world.

I hope and pray that the “Yes” vote wins, and that people can choose who they want to love without facing stigma for it from those who believe they are doing good.

9. Pingback: RonovanWrites Weekly #Haiku #Poetry Prompt Challenge 43 Review | ronovanwrites

• Thanks 🙂 Quotes can really add much sometimes. I really admire the Michelle Obama one. It is good to know who we are and what we stand for– I feel it is also important to know where we draw our line in the sand, when we do stand up for ourselves. Sometimes we’re damned if we do, damned if we don’t and we just have to address the negative and false attacks. I always enjoy conversing with you Vashti 🙂 Hugs!

• I love conversing with you too, Melissa. You’re so insightful. The Michelle Obama quote is fantastic. I should have it framed on my wall. I’m well aware that it is impossible to please everyone because even if you’re the sweetest cherry there will always be someone who hates sweets. And you’re right, you have to also choose your battles wisely. 😉 xx

10. Donna George says:

Hi Melissa
    As always I enjoy reading all your post, but I’ll admit I hovered over the Like button on this one. Everyone has the right to their own opinion and I applaud you for writing yours so eloquently, and I found some of your comments to be very true and your passion rippled through the words ( talented you as always) <3. For me, I'm not a fan of the Obamas, conservative Christian advocate with deep spiritual devotion to the scriptures and try my hardest to live closely by their teaching. I hope you don’t find this negative as it is not my intent. At the core of who we are deep inside – sits our beliefs. Belief drives our passion.
    :))

• Hi Donna, I appreciate your comment very much and don’t find a hint of negativity with it, in fact, quite the opposite. Thank you for responding in such an eloquent and thoughtful way. We may not agree on some of the topics I raised, but we are in agreement that a persons beliefs are deep within them and they are the driving force behind their passion. Have a beautiful weekend! Melissa 🙂

• I hope the wedding was fun. It sounds like it has all the potential to be a real blast! I was at a wedding this weekend also, working it though, a great opportunity for me. Looks like this weekend is nearly gone now, so enjoy the week ahead and take care. Xx

• Donna George says:

It was very tender and sweet. The grooms wore cowboy hats, jeans and paisley vests (George Strait look) and the gals wore tan lace knee length one shoulder dresses with brown Cowboy boots to match the guys. Check out my FB page and Instagram to see the photos. It was country fresh as they say fun and very creative. The bride mom is a good friend of mine and she makes slip covers for furniture for beach houses so she is very creative anyways. She has a blog too .
            _donnageorge is my Instagram and my FB is a click away on my blog page. Fun photos!
            Thanks for asking. Wedding make me a bit sad though – and the country music intensifies it lol.