Hiking At A Snail’s Pace

With a nip in the air and the sun shining high we set out for a hike.20150520_120028

20150520_112456

Not too far.  A bit over a mile each way– straight up, then return on the same path.

20150503_115018

20150520_120730

20150520_112514

20150520_120932

A walk that normally takes 45 minutes was closer to 2 hours.20150503_111833

20150502_144247

20150520_121802

20150503_114313

20150520_121150

20150503_103013

20150502_144421

After checking in with the goats… 20150416_122226

20150503_104854

…we went a bit further to the cliffs on the other side of the island. 20150502_145905

20150503_105342

20150503_110411

Then we turned and headed back towards home.20150503_111709

20150503_110925

20150503_111440

20150503_110614

20150503_111343

20150503_112213

20150503_111320

Great care went into making this generations old bridge.   Best guess, at least 10+ feet wide.20150503_113007

20150503_113412

One of the few remaining thatch cottages on Inis Mor.20150503_115233 (2)

The final descent with home in sight.20150509_093503

1. veerfabry says:

That’s why even the smaller islands, Inis Oirr and Inis Meáin are a world in its own. Everything changes every day, every hour.with the light shifting, the hidden jewels, the animals. Once you start really looking there’s always something to discover., Thanks for sharing your beautiful walk.

You live in such a beautiful place, and thank you for taking us with you on your walk. Love the wild flowers, particularly the speedwell photo – the blue seems to intense.

• I’m glad you appreciate the brilliant speedwell. I was happy with that particular shot. I have such a fondness for true blue flowers, they’re in a minority I think. You might be able to identify the fifth and sixth photos for me. Is the purple one also a Bloody Cranesbill? And fifth and ninth are the same, yes? Slight differences, but both on the red stems. Sorry to bother you, but I thought you’d maybe know. I did research it, but not certain based on photos I found. Thanks and have a beautiful weekend.

• Murtagh's Meadow says:

It is a Geranium (Cranesbill) – I thought first it was Herb Robert first but on close inspection I saw that the stems aren’t hairy. It could be Shining Cranesbill but need a clearer view of the leaves. Looking at leaves – it could be two different ones though closely related. Not much help! But feel free to email me photo of leaves and I’ll have further look.

• Your help is so appreciated. I thought it might be difficult without the leaves showing. We are up there twice a day, expecting kids any minute, so I will get a better shot again. It is wonderful learning the names, I look at them all differently knowing what to call them. Thank you again.

3. oriana77 says:

Melissa – Brilliant photographs, very similar to the countryside that I remember in Scotland, especially the dry stane dykes. DW loved the horse photo and wanted to know how far you are from Cobh and Dublin, which we visit in mid July.

• I am on the opposite side of the country from Dublin, three to four hours travelling by vehicle. Then there is a 45 minute ferry boat ride out to the island. July is a wonderful time to visit island, but I bet you knew that 😉 I would love to connect if you make it this far. Could even meet you in Galway for a meal and a drink, or two, if a day trip to the island doesn’t work into the agenda. It would be a shame if you came to Ireland and didn’t visit the west, the Burren particularly, especially if you were taken by Scotland.

• Thanks Stan, I chose not to elaborate, but Johnny and I had such a lovely time on the walk. You know when all the stars align kind of stuff?! We returned home and took our starved selves out for lunch, which is a real indulgence. We rarely eat out. This post is a great reminder of our ‘date’.

• Sounds like a lovely date! So important to have those moments.
        I was thinking about the picture of the cliffs which you said were on the far side of the island….It made me laugh because Becky would be sitting on the farthest rock with her feet dandling over the edge….while I would have been having a heart attack watching her. 🙂

• Oh, she’d love it here then. I have a pic from my first visit of myself lying down with my head hanging over the edge. Funny thing is, I find it too intimidating to do anymore. I think it is having young children that has made me less of a risk taker. I am with you, heart attack. Always worrying about Johnny going out fishing off the cliffs. Hope you are having a very happy Friday Stan. Love to Becky. Xx

I awoke to a chilly, rainy day here so I very much enjoyed taking the vicarious walk with you all; the photos are lovely and moved my thoughts from dreary here to half a world away, literally. Thank you for sharing. 🙂

• Thanks Greg. Not my typical post. Johnny said ‘where’s all the words?’! Teasing me he was! I thought they spoke for themselves. I sure hope your weather has improved and you have a wonderful weekend. Melissa 🙂

• Greg says:

I rather enjoyed the photo tour; but I like the “wordy” posts, too! LOL

Weather is supposed to improve tomorrow and be nice through the weekend; it’s a long one, Memorial Day, this weekend so I’ve got my fingers crossed the weather-folks are right – for a change! 🙂

Have a blessed weekend if we don’t “speak” before next week! – Greg

5. Melissa Shaw-Smith says:

Thanks for sharing this lovely walk. This is my favourite time of year in Ireland. The wild flowers are at their peak. Particularly love those very special blue gentians and the orchids.

• I worked in a flower shop for many years back in Maine and orchids were so exotic so I really love those also. We sold potted ferns as house plants and the way they are so abundant and wild here really fascinates me also. I was thinking I might start documenting them for a post as well. I just love how hardy they are, loving the moist air, growing between cracks in stones. Just gorgeous! And back in Maine, they were a difficult house plant.

• The cold and damp is obvious isn’t it? It was nice to appreciate the snails as they are usually such an annoyance to me in the garden. Did you send me your address or is it somewhere on your blog? Just thinking if you wanted the tomatillo seeds. I hope I didn’t delete it with other mail!

6. You live in paradise!! What an amazing place to go hiking! Love the second photo with the blue flowers because they look so vivid! The prize photo is the one with the horse. Brilliant. Thank you so much for sharing all of this.

• Thank you so very much. I’m happy that I decided to put the horse and thatch photo in. It is a bit out of context, but at the same time, perfectly belongs. I am very fond of blue flowers, a minority flower color, and often purple flowers try to fool us by being named ‘blue _____’, when they are obviously not true blue. Those ones (Speedwell) are just a tad smaller than pennies. Small and sweet. Have a most wonderful weekend!

I love stone walls Mellisa. We camped in small fields many times as children. As hedges and walls were taken out so bigger and more productive machines could intensively farm our land, I had an overwhelming feeling of loss when viewing our landscape. Your photos took me back years ago to a special few days walking and youth hosteling in Darbyshire with my teenage son. We tramped through those wonderful walled fields just like the ones in your pictures. I am in awe that you and Johnny are living this life and creating this future for your children. A wonderful choice!
    Roz 💚💜💛❤️💙🌈

• Ah Roz, what wonderful times you describe…hosteling with your son! Wow, what great experiences that must have been. The day we took the walk, we decided we would take the children camping up there this summer. We have a few beautiful plots, all connected (many times property is separated by someone elses plot of land) and each plot of ours has wonderful stone walls surrounding it. It is right at the top of the island with amazing views and paths leading to every side of the island. One of our plots is called Clai Mor (Big Walls). You can imagine it…only just over six foot high walls, but enough that most can’t easily see over it. Perhaps someday we will get a chance to visit each other’s bits of paradise, but for now, we will visit through pictures, words, and friendship. Much love to you and Phil, Melissa Xx

8. What gorgeous photos! I would SO love to visit when I am in Ireland in July…I’ve tried 3 times to get to the Aran Islands – 3 times lashing rain! Don’t know if I’ll make it this time either – time is very limited, but maybe I’ll try. Corral my cousins for a “day out”. Stay tuned! You might have visitors!

9. Pingback: WednesdayWalkAlong in a Walled Garden | Wild Daffodil

10. As busy as the tourist season gets, there is always places to get away for some solitude and silence here. Walks like this are a real reminder of all the blessings and beauty the island offers. Enjoy your weekend JoHanna 🙂