Moving in Black & White

Most elements of this picture have movement- the sun, cloud, birds, water, wind turbine, and ferry all move as a means to either be productive or simply as the way they exist.  There’s no profound reasoning behind the choice to start and stop at the lighthouse and the small island which it’s built upon, I just chose these two points because they are the anchors, never moving despite all the motion around them.  This is the view we see minute before docking at the pier on Inis Mor– the lighthouse is always a sign we are almost home.  Go on, find one of these two points and follow it throughout until you come to the other end.

black ink, white paper.

one-line design ‘of the sea’

passenger ferry

Why ‘of the sea’? Most of the ferries that service the island are named ‘Something of the Sea’–

Draiocht na Farraige– Magic of the Sea

Ceol na Farraige– Music of the Sea

Glór na Farraige– Voice of the Sea

Banríon na Farraige– Queen of the Sea

While the boats are similar, they’re not the same.   The details of the ferry I drew were gotten from this picture and from the Aran Island Ferries website header picture.  Details of Straw Island lighthouse I got from here.

20151203_182527     pic-3008916208-9x3TIN     20151205_123515

Simple beginnings, then redo over and over and over, adding in the details.  The first one I drew, upper right corner, was from memory.  There are plenty of scribbles I’ve not shown here, but you get the idea of the process nonetheless.

I do so hope everyone all my European friends are safe and sound while Storm Desmond blows by.

Cheers to the weekend!

Melissa Xx

• I actually was brave and went out to a Christmas party last night so was nice and cosy indoors, just not in my own home. And I hear we are in for more wet and wild this Wednesday.
      How did you fare with Desmond? So many without power, which for many means no heat. Brrr!

• Sarah says:

Wow, that was brave. I’m glad you were warm and cosy. Traveling in this weather is not much fun though, is it?
        We’ve been very lucky with the storms so far (touch wood). The winds have been the strongest they’ve ever been, I think, but over the years we’ve managed to identify the vulnerable parts of our property. We often have power outages here but, again, so far this season we’ve been lucky. One year the power went on Christmas day. 😦 We have a multi-fuel stove so we are able to keep warm. The local water supply usually stops though when there is a widespread power outage so our biggest problem is water really. How about you?

• We have only had a problem with water shortages in dry summers and we had it sent in from the mainland. We have a gas cooker so food is not a problem and a coal stove so heat is ok also, though this old house always seems a bit cold anyway!

• Sarah says:

Yes, old houses are hard to keep warm, aren’t they? Ours is old too.
            I’d forgotten about cooking. We have an electric cooker so that _is_ a problem. Luckily our power outages have never lasted more than a day or two so we’ve managed to get by well enough.
            Good luck with everything. 🙂

Lovely picture. I’ll think we may need a ferry to get out of here – Desmond is trying to drown us – most of the forest below us is under water! Luckily we are on a bit of a rise:)

2. susurrus says:

I love it. Gaelic is such a romantic looking language. I have my own version of your lighthouse – a jubilee tower overlooks my home town. You can see it on the moor no matter what direction you approach my house from and it’s always a welcome sight.

3. Janice says:

I thoroughly enjoyed your post. The one drawing is amazing…will you be using it for another project? I would say you did a haibun with the story and haiku. I like the feeling that we are viewing what you see as you come in to dock. Happy Sunday!

• Hi Janice! After googling, I must agree. Probably most of my haiku fall under the haibun category 😀 I try to relate them to my island/Irish life and the prose often connects it all. Thank you for that education in haibun and hope you too are having a wonderful Sunday. Melissa Xx

4. Pingback: RonovanWrites 73rd #Weekly #Haiku #Poetry Challenge LINKS | ronovanwrites

5. Meredith says:

I had to look up haibun. Prose and poem. You met the criteria with no problem. Prose in the broadest terms according to Wiki encyclopedia. I enjoy hearing about your Island home. Are you loosing your accent.