Believing Something Great Is Out There

Did everyone see the brilliant full moon last evening? All in my house went to bed while it hung directly out our east facing window and woke with it directly out the one facing west. This amazed my children. While we lie sleeping, the earth was revolving around the sun as the moon revolved around the earth; they know this fact. Yet, it was still an altogether beautiful discovery this morning.

They gazed at the morning moon through a telescope received for Christmas from cousins in America. A treasured new gadget for their curiosity toolbox. An extension of their eye and of their imagination that gives a view to endless possibilities. They can’t get enough of it. Outside, inside, upstairs and down. ‘Are there stars out tonight?’ Sadly most nights have been cloudy so they’re practising patience while anticipation is building. This is a good thing.

Yesterday we had a light brushing of snow. I honestly saw none remaining on the ground within fifteen minutes of it falling for it was washed away by the drizzle that immediately followed. Don’t you know, hours after the snowfall when my children returned home from school, it took them no time at all to pack a half dozen large ziplock bags full for storing in one of our chest freezers.

I asked them why they wanted to save it. Aside from it ‘being cool’ it was also ‘to help us remember’. The last time we had any significant snowfall on the island was seven years ago so most of my children have little or no memory of it. At their current ages, they’ll surely never forget this adventure. But lest they forget the emotion of that afternoon’s mudlarking (or should I say snowlarking), they’ve bags of frozen-fingered memories at the ready.

Earlier tonight, while clipping my son’s fingernails and listening to him explain how he was writing a new season to the Lego Ninjago cartoon series, I praised him saying ‘The skies the limit!’ His reply? ‘No, it’s not Mom. There is no limit.’ Well, he certainly set me straight didn’t he?!

january-2017-great-perhaps-rainbow

This photograph of a rainbow over our next door neighbour’s house was taken this afternoon from an upstairs window of my own home. I was thinking to frame it (sans quote) and gift it to them. What do you think of that idea?

1. Vivienne says:

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️
    I love EVERYTHING about your post!
    (Santa brought us a telescope, too! Maybe we’ll see each other! Boo!)
    Yes, absolutely YES to the neighbor’s gift and, then, sit and write that book that’s inside of you. “There are no limits!”
    ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

2. nanacathy2 says:

We saw the great big moon through our kitchen window whilst washing up after dinner. It woke me up in the night when it moved west and shone through the bedroom window. I think your neighbours would love the picture of the house. A super idea.

Beautiful post Melissa. I love your son’s retort! Brilliant. We too had just a small sprinkling of snow, much to my twos disappointment. They tried to gather it up while we waited for the school bus but it was frozen solid and so won’t stick together! A few weeks ago when we had those five nights of hard frost my son gathered together all bits of frozen ice sculptures he found in the poultry drinking containers and open water butts. He’d go out each morning before school to see what the frost had left behind. Don’t you just love their imagination!

4. Literally, just before reading your post, Rick came in from chores ( it’s still dark here early, early, morning) and asked me if I noticed the moon shining directly into our bedroom window last night! Did you know the Native Americans called the January moon, ‘the Wolf Moon’? I love the words of your son, “There’s no limit, Mom”. What a wonderful gift for your family, a telescope to explore the galaxies! Here’s a poem for you, my friend, and for that delightful, inquisitive, life-giving family of yours…so, so, glad you are there on that island doing work that matters…all of you!
    Harvest Moon
    poem by Mary Oliver –

No sky could hold

so much light–

and here comes the brimming,

the flooding and streaming

out of the clouds

and into the leaves,

glazing the creeks,

the smallest ditches!

And so many stars!

The sky seems stretched

like an old black cloth;

behind it, all

the celestial fire

we ever dreamed of!

And the moon steps lower,

quietly changing

her luminous masks, brushing

everything as she passes

with her slow hands

and soft lips–

clusters of dark grapes,

apples swinging like lost planets,

melons cool and heavy as bodies–

and the mockingbird wakes

in his hidden castle;

out of the silver tangle

of thorns and leaves

he flutters and tumbles,

spilling long

ribbons of music

over forest and river,

copse and cloud–

all heaven and all earth–

wherever the white moon

fancies her small wild prince–

field after field after field.

• I just love the poem and that you thought to send it to us means so much. I’m picturing the majestic mockingbird in his castle and the planetary apples and how much my children will adore this poem when I read it to them tomorrow. Is all her writing as vivid as this?

Also, I’m wondering, did you notice the moon shining in your window overnight? It seems from other comments that yours was not the only one Mr Moon was peaking into 😉

5. Brenda says:

We drove down to Massachusetts yesterday to see a dog and the huge orange moon guided our way home. A telescope! I’m envious. They open such a magical world. And, I agree with everyone else, frame that photo.

• Hi Brenda, I don’t know why that made me grin when I read the first half of your first sentence above, that you went to see a dog. Me being over tired and silly headed probably! All I could think was you went to see a dog about a bone. Yes, these are the thoughts I should keep to myself, am pretty sure of that 😀

Seriously though, what a treat to have such a spectacular companion as the bright full moon to accompany you on your journey. And yes, the telescope is beyond stellar!

6. Laurie Graves says:

You probably already know this, but the native Americans called this month’s full moon the Wolf Moon. Beautiful name, don’t you think? Wonderful post, as always, about living creatively and bravely. And, yes, I bet your neighbors would be thrilled to have a picture of their home with a rainbow above it.

• You know, I only just heard of the Wolf Moon having read about it on a Farmer’s Almanac post. Now it is coming to me repeatedly; funny how that happens sometimes…probably means something is significant if it is introduced and keeps reappearing in a short period of time, especially when it’s not new information. Or maybe I just have an overactive imagination! I would be thrilled also to receive such a photo and my neighbours are sentimental caring people who cherish and have great pride in their home so I think you’re right– it would be received with much appreciation. I’m going to go for it and get it printed!

7. Well done! We enjoyed that beautiful brilliant morning moon here in Florida! Thanks for sharing from the Far Side, “Over There.” PS: My wife wants you to know she just finished making 22 pints of carambola/starfruit-pineapple jam, since Christmas. Delicious!

8. I saw that moon rise from my treehouse window and when I woke I saw it set – magnificent!So good to know so many of us were communicating with the magic.
    I too love everything about your post – esp the wonderful tales of how your children view the world/universe!
    YES – print the photo, I’m sure they will love it, but remember to print one for yourself too. I expect you know there are online printers you can use if you don’t want to wait until you go to the mainland. 😉

9. Sarah says:

Hi Melissa, lovely post. Yes, the image of the rainbow would make a great gift. 🙂
    We had a couple of inches of snow and hail but it soon melted a bit and re-froze. So it made the roads dangerous and wasn’t suitable for snowballs, etc. 😦 I guess we get more snow here than you because we’re a long way from the sea.

10. mudpilewood says:

Your son is correct in saying the sky is limitless as are story possibilities. If it is any consolation there was even less snow in County Meath. We saw a flurry and that was it. But you never know there is always tomorrow.

• True, there’s still a couple weeks left in winter (though it was 10 degrees today!)

My son and I went on to converse about how the only limit was imagination and he has an abundance of that, as most children do, so I’m expecting it should be a very exciting book!

11. Singledust says:

one of my favourite quotes – the Great Perhaps and my favourite thing in the whole world – SNOW! – loved how you bring your kids up without teasing but encouraging their wonder of life and the beauty it holds even in the smallest of beings. the day we had the supermoon on the equator – my kids who were home with me we stood outside and gazed at it and called the daughter that was away at college and we all looked at the same moon together, i felt so blessed that my grown up babies would still want to watch the moon withe me – i know yours will always continue to ask you to share in their discovery and wonder. Lovely Melissa, just such a lovely post!